Monday 14 May 2018

Maurice Campaign - Round 2

Apologies for not posting for a week. Life has thrown us one of those ... life things, and my attention has been elsewhere. But we have a way forward now and should be returning to a semblance of normality for the foreseeable future. Even that wouldn't have prevented me posting a report of our games on Thursday night, had I not been so distracted that I left my phone at work on Friday; the one with all of the photos on it.

Anyway, on Thursday we started the second round of our Maurice campaign. John couldn't make it, and I was in doubt (I turned up to watch), so we sat it out, and will play each other again at a later date. In the meantime Gary (Ottomans) defended against an attack by Ralph's Prussians, whilst Caesar's French defended against Peter's Austrians.

Here's the Prussians attacking the Ottomans. Ralph stacked most of his army against the extreme Ottoman right trying to avoid the massed guns of the Turks. Even so he lost a few units to cannon during the approach.


Once he got in close, though, the Prussian musketry dealt with the Ottomans rather effectively.


However Gary swung his irregular cavalry across the battlefield to hit the Prussians in the flank. The battle was close, and could have gone either way, but the Prussians clinched a victory in what was an exceptionally bloody fight.


Cavalry featured heavily in the early stages of Peter and Caesar's Austrian vs French clash as well.


Whilst the cavalry pushed each other back and forth on the flank, the infantry eyed each other up.


At that point I had to go. Peter took the following pictures, but I'm not sure if they're in the correct order.






Peter also provided a summary of the game, including the bits after I left.

The Brief Summary

1. Austria attacked French Cav 5 vs 4 unit

2. French beat off Austrian attack

3. Cav battle grinds on for a long time, we get down to 2 cav each

4. I bring up my infantry to start volley firing at French Cav

5. I gun down the french cav

6. French infantry advance,

7. one crazy french battalion attacks the Austrian line and is eliminated (Heat of battle card)

8. the french infantry attack stalls and are then attacked form the rear / side by my Cav.

French are defeated.

This was a victory for each side in the alliance. Both games were fairly bloody, so there will be a lot of conscripts in play next time. John and I still have to play our game.

2 comments:

  1. You pieced everything together well. Two engaging battles, though ours dragged on to a painful conclusion (for the French). The Prussian v Ottoman clash was over quite quickly and an absolute nail biter towards the end with both armies close to collapse. Nice pics!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...